Organization: Intercity Transit
Location: Olympia, Wash.
Deadline: This position will remain open until filled. In order to be considered for the first round of interviews, submit your application by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, May 17.
Salary: Salary range is $66,179 – $89,338 annually. This position is FLSA exempt and not eligible for overtime. Our excellent benefits package includes health insurance, various retirement benefit options in addition to Washington State PERS, as well as generous paid sick and vacation leave.
Description: Intercity Transit has an exciting opportunity, for a full-time Associate Planner in the Planning Division. This professional position leads and supports planning and service development projects, including a variety of technical support and implementation activities. Additional responsibilities include coordination with neighboring cities on planning and development of transportation infrastructure, analyzing and reporting system performance data, assessing operational characteristics, and presenting or facilitating public workshops and outreach.
Build a career you enjoy, in an agency that is a nationally recognized small urban transit system with diverse services and strong community support. Intercity Transit provides fixed route transit, ADA paratransit and vanpool services in Washington state’s capitol city of Olympia in addition to the neighboring communities of Lacey, Tumwater, and Yelm. The overwhelming approval of a recent ballot measure will allow Intercity Transit to expand public transportation within the community, as well as, invest in technology that will support more robust transit services, including bus rapid transit and innovative demand response programs. This is an exciting time with great opportunities, and we invite you to join us in our mission to provide and promote transportation choices that support an accessible, sustainable, livable, healthy and prosperous community. Please visit our website at www.intercitytransit.com for more information.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish and maintain productive working relationships with local/regional land use and transportation planners; serve as a liaison between Intercity Transit and the jurisdictions on community development projects including land use plans, corridor plans, transition plans and local development regulations.
- Use a variety of data sources and forecasting tools to perform empirical analyses that support service evaluation and long-range system planning.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of comprehensive transit plans, programs and related studies including programs related to compliance with Federal, State and local requirements.
- Assist with service change processes, including the development of fixed routes, schedules and onboard information systems.
- Professionally represent Intercity Transit at meetings, in workshops or gatherings with local officials, agencies, jurisdictions and the general public to advance transit projects and programs.
- Knowledge of principles, practices and functions related to urban land use planning and the community development process;
- Ability to communicate and present effectively and professionally to diverse audiences;
- Ability to establish and maintain good public and employee relations;
- Knowledge of modern computer and internet applications including Excel, GIS, mapping and databases;
- Knowledge of effective data analysis techniques and statistics;
- Ability to collect, analyze and interpret complex datasets, geospatial data, procedures and governmental standards;
- Bachelor’s degree in transportation or urban planning, geography, business or public administration, decision sciences or related field AND two (2) years of experience in urban planning, mapping, grants preparation, and administration or data collection and analysis OR
- An equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position. A relevant master’s degree or graduate level course work may be substituted for the required work experience.
- Certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is not required but is desirable.
- Must be willing to submit to a post-job-offer criminal background investigation, the results of which must meet the agency’s hiring criteria.
Application Procedure: Apply online only at www.intercitytransit.com. A letter of interest and resume that includes your last ten years of work/school history are required. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Intercity Transit’s preferred method of communication is via email, so an accurate and active email address is essential.