Chief Operations Officer
Organization: St. Cloud Metropolitan Transit Commission
Location: St. Cloud, Minn.
Deadline: Application materials must be received by Jan. 31 by 4:30 p.m. local time.
Salary: Starting annual salary is $86,199.00-$94,381.00 depending on qualifications.
Description: St. Cloud Metropolitan Transit Commission is seeking a Chief Operations Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities: The Chief Operations Officer (COO) is responsible for directing all transit operational departments including bus and maintenance operations and planning. Plans and develops operational policies, goals and objectives; manages changes and ensures compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The Chief Operations Officer is a member of the Executive Committee. May act on behalf of the Chief Executive Officer in his/her absence. General supervision is given to all transit system Operations employees. Responsible for direct supervision of the Director of Maintenance; Operation Managers; and Planning Manager.
Essential duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them if the work is similar, related or logical to the position.
Leadership Management and Oversight
- Responsible for effective leadership and management of all operations staff, setting goals and performance objectives, and monitoring and adjusting to achieve required results.
- Manages and maintains safety, customer service and cost effective delivery of all bus and commuter transportation and maintenance services.
- Teams with the Director of Human Resources in negotiation of the collective bargaining agreement and labor relations issues.
- Delivers presentations to the Board of Commissioners, other boards, and legislative bodies regarding transit system services and issues.
- Assisst the Chief Finance and Administration Officer in preparation of annual operations and capital budget, and State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP).
- Responsible for monthly and annual reporting to the National Transit Database (NTD) and Federal Transit Authority (FTA).
- Ensures compliance with all aspects of Americans with Disability (ADA) transportation regulations.
- Develops, reviews and evaluates contract proposals; montiros and evaluates work fo consultants, contract personnel and vendors.
Operations and Planning
- Directs the safe and efficient delivery of Fixed Route, Commuter and Dial-a-Ride transportation services.
- Oversees the development of the long range transit plan and transit element of the St Cloud Metropolitan Area Long Range Transportation Plan. Ensure coordination with the St Cloud APO, MnDOT and other local and regional transportation planning activities.
Maintenance and Facilities
- Directs and oversees vehicle and facilities maintenance programs.
- Ensures vehicle, equipment and facilities are properly maintained for safe and effective operations.
Communicates courteously and professionally and maintains respectful working relationships with coworkers and customers in carrying out job functions.
Performs all job duties in compliance with safety guidelines and with an ongoing awareness of safety practices.
- Knows and follows safety rules and guidelines as well as sound work and safety practices in order to accomplish the job objectives and avoid injury or loss;
- Wears proper protective equipment when policy requires or conditions indicate a need exists and utilizes proper body mechanics and ergonomics while performing work;
- When potentially unsafe conditions are observed, makes efforts to avoid or correct them if they are controllable and draws them to the attention of the responsible supervisor or safety representative in a timely manner.
Performs other duties and activities as assigned.
Qualifications: The job requires a bachelor’s degree in business, public administration, transportation or an appropriately related field and a minimum of six (6) years senior management operations and supervisor experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required include:
- Demonstrated background in operations and personnel manamgenet
- Knowledge of principles, policies and practices of operations management and administration; planning, and supervision,.
- Thorough knowledge, or ability to quickly develop, of applicable governmental regulations and federal, state and local transit and employment laws.
- Ability to coordinate, direct, supervise and evaluate the work of subordinates and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to apply collaborative work strategies and gain the cooperation of all levels of employees.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a diverse workforce.
- Ability to develop new or alternate methods, procedures and policies which result in improved effectiveness, efficiency and/or cost-savings.
- Ability to write , prepare and proof comprehensive written reports; establish and maintain positive working relationships with agency personnel, union representatives, board of commissioners and the general public.
- Ability to obtain within 90 days and maintain a valid Class B Minnesota Driver License, with passenger and air brake endorsements and current medical certificate.
- Must be able to read and speak English clearly. Bilingual a plus.
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to exchange and or convey information, receive work direction, and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of employees, committees and groups; and to diffuse situations/conversations that have escalated beyond normal limits.
- Transit knowledge and experience preferred but not required.
- Master’s degree preferred.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
- This position is predominately in an office environment requiring extended periods of sitting;
- Utilizes personal computer, phone and other office equipment on a regular basis;
- Will require moderate travel outside of the office. Will utilize company or personal vehicle for travel.
- This position requires the employee be available 24/7 in person or by phone.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the organization and requirements of the job change.
Metro Bus is an Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. It will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Application Procedure: For consideration submit a Metro Bus job application, resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. An application can be obtained through our website at www.ridemetrobus.com or by contacting 320-529-4498.
Incomplete application materials will not be accepted.