Director of Public Transportation
Organization: City of Harrisonburg
Location: Harrisonburg, Va.
Deadline: All candidates must submit a complete City of Harrisonburg online employment application with the documents stated above by 5:00 p.m. EST on September 23, 2019 in order to be considered. An initial review of applications will begin the first week in September. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Salary: $87,131.20 – $100,193.60. The City provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS & ICMA-RC), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
Description: The City of Harrisonburg seeks a Director of Public Transportation. The Director of Public Transportation is a full-time position with benefits and a preferred hiring range of $87,131 – $100,193 annually. The ideal candidate for this position will oversee various operations, including City transit and school bus operations, other City fleet, and the central garage.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and evaluate programs, policies and procedures necessary to ensure safety and effective management of staff and daily operations, including during inclement weather;
- Oversee departmental operations, including but not limited to, preparation and tracking of budgets and expenditures, maintenance requirements, regulatory compliance at all levels, and procurement;
- Oversee development, review, and updates of the school bus and transit routing system, including making public announcements as required;
- Complete all reporting requirements to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations;
- Monitor and periodically assist reviewing the local taxi code;
- Recommend operations changes to the City Manager;
- Serve on a variety of special boards and committees related to the department;
- Serve as the Disadvantage Business Enterprise (DBE) Liaison Officer and ensure operational goals and procurement processes are DBE compliant;
- Work effectively as a member of the City Manager’s Executive Leadership Team to plan, execute and evaluate organization-wide strategies that achieve City Council’s vision and goals and important community needs.
Physical Requirements: This is light work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, and determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, noise, and vibration.
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in transportation, business administration, or related field and considerable experience in transportation management including supervisory and administrative experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Valid driver’s license;
- Prior management experience with transit systems and school bus systems preferred.
- The ideal candidate should have comprehensive knowledge of the:
- Principles and practices of public transportation and automotive repair facility management;
- Hazards and safety precautions of large scale operations;
- Laws and regulations pertaining to public transportation.
- The Director of Public Transportation position requires the ability to plan and supervise the work of others and establish and maintain effective working relationships with officials, employees, and the general public.
Application Procedure: In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit a complete City of Harrisonburg online employment application, including education history and work experience, and attach the following: Cover letter; resume; three professional references. Applicants who are unable to upload the required documents via the online employment application must email the documents to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful applicants for this position must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check, drug screening, credit history review, education history review, and DMV record review.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.