Intelligent Transportation Systems Manager
Organization: Fort Bend Transit
Location: Richmond, Texas
Deadline: Upon filling position
Salary: $2,197.60 – $2,586.40 biweekly based on qualifications. All full-time and part-time employees are members of the Texas County District Retirement System (TCDRS). Full-time employees also enjoy a wide-range of great benefits.
Description: Fort Bend Transit seeks an Intelligent Transportation Systems Manager to manageme the daily operation of the Fort Bend County Public Transportation Department.
Located just southwest of the City of Houston, Fort Bend has a long history which began when a small log fort was built on the banks of the Brazos River to help protect the settlers moving onto Stephen F. Austin’s original Mexican land grants. In fact, the county draws its name from that small fort built in the early 1800s and the small settlement around it, that in 1837 became the county seat of Richmond, Texas. Today, Fort Bend is one of the fastest growing counties in Texas and the United States with a current population exceeding 585,000.
Fort Bend County is an equal opportunity employer, committed to non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, religion or creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy status (including childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected military and veteran status, political affiliation or beliefs, or any other classification protected by state, federal and local laws, unless such classification is a bona fide occupational qualification.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) management in the daily operation of the Fort Bend County Public Transportation Department.
- Participates in planning of programs, policies or objectives for own work group and department.
- Determines and analyzes transit technology-based needs of the Department for both current and future needs to sustain current and projected future levels of transit service. Evaluates various system offerings, determines interoperability, and develops implementation plans that are within the scope and budget of funding mechanisms.
- Assists in creation and management of the transit technology systems budget and all other costs related to the technology needs of the Department.
- Develops policies and processes for the selection, implementation, utilization, and maintenance of transit-related hardware and software systems across all levels of the organization.
- Plans, schedules, and manages transit technology project activities for the deployment of major systems, ensuring that the final product provides the best return on investment (ROI) feasible. Serves as the primary contact for the implementation, management, and maintenance of all operational supporting systems including (but not limited to) Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL) and Automated Fare Collection (AFC).
- Works collaboratively with staff and/or vendors in the design, development, testing, and launch of additional content or modifications to operational supporting systems; Assists in the maintenance of access security, and maintains technical documentation of the configuration and system maintenance plans for all databases related to operational supporting systems.
- Communicates the overall direction of related projects to staff and provides regular written and verbal status reports to all project stakeholders.
- Oversees ITS equipment inventory processes.
- Reviews software functionality and system enhancements periodically in search of opportunities to improve business processes, enhance service offerings, and reduce operational costs.
- Collaborates with end-users at all levels and reviews software functionality and personnel staffing on an on-going basis to identify new ways of capturing more accurate data, reducing operating costs, and providing executive management with accurate operating statistics.
- Ensures that communication and data transmission systems between buses and back-office function as effectively and efficiently as possible for both the productivity and safety of Transit Operations staff.
- Manages relationships with all vendors that provide hardware, software and/or services for the transit-related systems used by the Department.
- Acts as the Transit Technology liaison between the Department and the County IT department, external agencies, other transportation organizations, and professional organizations for innovative solution design and implementation.
- Represents the Department at technical meetings with Houston Galveston Area Council to ensure the Department stays apprised of decisions affecting transportation in the region.
- Develops policies and processes for the selection, implementation, utilization, and maintenance of transit-related software systems across all levels of the Department.
- Develops and implements internal ITS equipment inventory processes.
- Responds as needed during emergency events.
- Emergency events include bus or facility accidents or threats and/or other events involving safety, security or emergency management responses.
- Participates in activities and duties related to emergency management during a local state of disaster as directed by appropriate county managers.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field.
- Six years job related experience. Public transportation experience and familiarity using Trapeze preferred.
- Proven proficiency with both oral and written communication skills.
- Strong leadership, problem solving and management skills.
- Organizational skills and the ability to complete multiple tasks a must.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with the public, other employees and elected officials.
Application Procedure: Apply online at https://www.fortbendcountytx.gov/government/departments/county-administration/human-resources/employment.