Maintenance Shop Manager
Organization: Norwalk Transit District
Location: Norwalk, Conn.
Deadline: open until filled
Description: The Norwalk Transit District seeks a Maintenance Shop Manager responsible for assigning and supervising the maintenance staff that maintains the Norwalk Transit District’s fleet of vehicles and equipment, as well as buildings and facilities.
Agency Disclaimer: The CEO may modify this job description based upon agency needs; may require the employee to perform functions beyond those mentioned. Employee understands that all employment is on an “at will” basis.
Duties and Responsibilities: The Maintenance Shop Manager is responsible for assigning and supervising the maintenance staff that maintains the Norwalk Transit District’s fleet of vehicles and equipment, as well as buildings and facilities; schedules preventive maintenance services and repairs; oversees inventory and fuel and lubricant management; and, participates in the procurement of vehicles, equipment, parts, tools, fuels, lubricants, and other materials necessary to the operations of the company. This position reports to the Director of Maintenance and Facilities; works collaboratively with all department Managers.
- Schedules and administers fleet maintenance
- Communicates availability of vehicles for service
- Performs scheduling and supervision of repair, maintenance and cleaning staff. Supervises maintenance operations, delegating responsibilities as appropriate
- Ensures regulatory inspections and preventive maintenance services are accomplished as required
- Reviews quality of work and utilization of staff time
- Reviews all work orders daily. Verifies proper recording of repairs, proper recording of parts used, and proper hours of time spent. Enters all work orders in company based software for purposes of State, Federal and Company requirements and compliance, as well as keeping inventory counts current.
- Manages quarterly / yearly inventory counts, verifies all counts as accurate, and ensures inventory is updated in company software. Reports all variances to the Director of Maintenance and the Director of Finance.
- Ensures that warranty work is accomplished timely and as appropriate
- Arranges contract repairs when work cannot be performed in the company shop. Subcontracts repair work as needed. Manages all subcontract work as per Procurement policies, as well as the timeliness of repairs.
- Locates and requisitions all parts needed for repairs and services. Order fuel and parts.
- Recommends the purchase of tools and equipment
- Ensures shop, equipment and tools are maintained in safe and secure operating condition
- Assists in recruiting, screening, training, and evaluation of maintenance employees
- Maintains accurate information for payroll reporting
- Ensures timely and effective roadside repairs and adjustments
- Supervises cleaning and limited repairs and services to building systems and facilities
- Will provide shift coverage for night foreman in foreman’s absence
- Performs and completes special projects and other duties as assigned. Required to perform hands-on work in certain cases.
- Ability to create, write and implement policy and procedures
Safety & Security: Responsible for communicating all safety and security policies and practices to maintenance and cleaning staff. Corrects unsafe conditions in work area and reports any conditions that are not correctable. Provides or recommends tools and equipment that facilitates maximum efficiency combined with maximum safety.
Responsible for contributing to a safe and secure work environment. Is cognizant of surroundings and acts in a safe manner at all times. Is knowledgeable of and adheres to OSHA, NTD and other safety standards, directives and advisories, both written and verbal. Uses safety equipment and protective clothing as appropriate and necessary. Maintains good housekeeping habits in work area to avoid injury to self or others. Immediately reports to their respective supervisor or Manager of Safety and Security any safety or security issue and makes recommendations for improvement. Observes building access restrictions and locks doors when not present. Knows the nearest two safety exits and participates in safety drills.
- ASE certifications strongly preferred; Must be willing to obtain while employed
- Understand laws on public transportation and safety
- At least seven (7) years of experience in the maintenance of heavy diesel-powered equipment, repairing and maintaining diesel engines and automotive; preferably with a public transit provider
- 3+ years of mechanical supervisory experience
- Possess a valid, current Commercial Driver License (CDL), with a minimum of Class B, with Public Service Endorsements P and F, or be able to acquire a CDL within 6 months of employment
- Experience with all aspects of public transit vehicle repair including electrical problems, mechanical problems, bodywork, air conditioning, onboard computerization, etc.
- Strong computer skills, including the use of online ordering, databases and inventory programs, experience with diagnostic software preferred
- Excellent skills required with Microsoft Word & Excel
- Experience with inventory control and parts ordering. Familiarity with an automated inventory management system is preferred.
- Experience with record keeping, vehicle histories, repair records, work orders and related documents. Ensures compliance on a day-to-day basis with State, Federal and Company requirements.
- Works closely with managers, providing the status of maintenance and budget requirements
- Ability to effectively supervise a workforce
- Trains and motivates maintenance staff
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- This is a safety-sensitive position and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing
Physical Requirements: Frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, crouch and kneel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 75 pounds.
Work Environment: There will be frequent interaction with employees and vendors. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate. Work is generally performed within an office or maintenance shop environment.
Application Procedure: Apply at https://www.norwalktransit.com/employment.
The Norwalk Transit District is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.